The Porto City Council selected Amplitude Net's Digital Signage World VDS software to launch its TV channel to be broadcast on screens located in important municipal points, such as Loja do Munícipe, Intermodal de Campanhã, Ágora Porto Lazer , Domus Social, Paços do Concelho or the Post Office Building.
The screens are strategically positioned near several common areas of public services, namely at building entrances, waiting rooms or support stores, with the broadcast mainly consisting of:
- Latest news from Porto City Council;
- Institutional videos;
- Specific information about the various Municipal companies;
All the dynamics associated with the latest news presented on the screens require close to zero management effort, as they come from an integration with an information system already existing at the Porto City Council.
In addition, another initial challenge was also overcome, by making available on a single platform, the capacity of each of the different municipal companies, to be able to carry out autonomously, the management of their content to appear on the screens in their spaces (which the general contents of the Chamber are added).
The versatility of the digital Signage World VDS software was also relevant in managing to minimize the complexity of the broadcast associated with the existence of two different formats, as a result of having screens placed vertically as well as horizontally.
Through this integrated solution, the Porto City Council will be able to effectively communicate its activities, events and news, at the locations of the City Council's various municipal companies, transmitting an image of modernity to all visitors to its spaces.
Amplitude Net's first connection with the Porto City Council took place around 15 years ago, in a very innovative project at the time, TV Porto. This project aimed to inform residents and all interested parties about the activity of the Chamber and the City, in an updated and real-time way, through an online Portal, where, in addition to access to the entire archive of videos produced in the In the context of the Chamber, there was also live broadcasting of major events, such as the visit of Pope Benedict XVI in 2010 or the Boavista Circuits for the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) races.
Advantages of Digital Signage in Municipal Councils and the Public Sector
In addition to the Municipal Council of Portugal, several other Municipal Councils have been adopting Amplitude's Digital Signage system, such as the Sabugal, Vagos or Grândola Councils.
All these projects developed have the objective of bringing the Chambers closer to their inhabitants, through the dissemination of an updated, modern and effective information service, which captivates and engages visitors to their spaces.
Among the many advantages that Digital Signage can bring to Municipal Councils and the Public Sector, the following are highlighted:
- Real-Time Updates: Digital signage enables the instant dissemination of information, allowing government agencies to provide updates at any time, managed from anywhere.
- Assist and inform: Presentation of videos or images (or just digital signs) with information that helps visitors have a better experience when using a service, in order to minimize errors and speed up processes, as it can be transmitted exactly What should be done.
- Safety Signs and Emergency Alerts: Safety signs are essential to inform the general public about possible dangers and measures to be taken. These signs effectively communicate important information such as warnings about hazards. In the event of emergency situations, effectiveness can be even greater through rapid dissemination of alerts indicating safe routes. By promoting awareness and understanding of security protocols, we will contribute to a safer environment for everyone.
- Scalability: An excellent feature of modern digital signage systems like World VDS is their incredible adaptability in managing any number of screens. Even starting with a few, you can add as many screens as you want, and manage them completely from a single, central interface. This means that you can create a standard playlist of content for all locations in a specific sector, but then add individual ringtones for each one, simply by inserting a specific slide for that particular screen.
- Cost Reduction: Although there is an initial cost associated with upgrading to digital format, the investment is recovered in the medium/long term, as digital signage systems are much more economical to manage and maintain, the upgrade will actually end up saving money. This is mainly because content can be updated without having to reproduce or redistribute printed materials. In places with a high turnover of information to be presented, there is also a strong reduction in environmental impact, associated with the elimination of physical material that quickly has to be destroyed.
- Queue Management: Waiting in queues is admittedly one of the most annoying things that can happen. Digital Signage can help make this experience more pleasant (or less painful) for visitors, communicating in real time not only the numbers being called, but also the ability to provide directions and indicate estimated wait times, while Videos are shown to distract people during the waiting period. Studies show that this method reduces perceived waiting time by 35%.
- Wayfinding: When people enter municipal spaces, hospitals and the like, they often have difficulty orienting themselves to get where they need to go. Digital signage can serve the role of a wayfinding guide to help visitors get where they need to be more effectively. There's nothing better than arriving somewhere and being able to figure out where to go, without needing to ask for help or looking lost, through dynamic interactive displays that allow visitors to search, view maps and more.